April & May Science Experiments

We picked animals to research and filled out report sheets on them (this is Fritz’s report on the blobfish).
aprsci1

We filled out some cladograms.
aprsci2

We solved a puzzle using a dichotomous key.
aprsci3

We looked at the bacteria in yogurt under the microscope. We left out a bit of yogurt overnight and then looked at it. We discovered there were a lot more bacteria on the slide the second day.
aprsci4

We identified whether plants from our yard were monocots or dicots.
aprsci5

We looked at a monocot and a dicot under the microscope.
aprsci6

We identified the body parts of a cockroach. We were supposed to do the same with a spider, but after months of watching for spiders, we never caught one (and only saw a few very tiny ones)!
aprsci7

We cut a banana in half lengthwise and put the halves in ziploc baggies. We added 1 teaspoon of yeast to one bag and sealed them up squeezing as much air out as possible. The yeast digested the banana into a soupy mess while the plain banana stayed firm and puffed up the bag a bit. (Cameron’s and my hypotheses about what would happen were completely wrong, but Fritz’s was right.)
aprsci8

We examined a mushroom and identified the parts and then dissected it.
aprsci9

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s